Area's other than NTTR

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Tars (Member since 06/07/2023) on June 07, 2023 at 9:13:00 PST:

Hello! Long time follower but this is my first post. I have a question that I would like some insight on. First off, its clear that Area 51 and the entirety of the NTTR is home to a variety of facilities used for clandestine projects. It offers vast areas of unpopulated land away from prying eyes which is required for the work they're doing out there. That being said, what other places offer that similar kind of isolation that could be used for flight test specifically. I understand there are places like the Dugway Proving Ground, White Sands...etc. But how realistic is it that the government just test flies "sight sensitive" aircraft out of country? Or maybe Alaksa? For example, if the DOD makes some extreme capability leap why fly it in the NTTR? Its still close to people, cameras, cell phones...Area 51 is constantly talked about in mainstream media and has been known about globally for decades. The Feds know people from all walks of life visit the area, people are always camping out and listening to comms...etc. Now I understand that the level of infrastructure required to support a black project is mind-boggling so I get why you would stay in Nevada and use all of the well-established facilities. But why not design it, taxi test it out there and then box your "Rq-180 or full-scale UCAV" up in a C-5 and fly it out to Diego Garcia or Thule? maybe take it out to San Clemente and fly it over the ocean so you don't run the risk of it crashing near populated areas? I just think it would be so advantageous to use Area 51 as a distraction essentially. I also get you need the radar ranges and nuanced test support...etc. But I'm just thinkin'. Also not saying they're poor at keeping projects shadowy, I mean we can all list the past projects that they successfully kept in the Black, not to mention what is currently being developed. But it just seems like there is a lot of room for error. Anyway, that's my take so if anybody could lead me in the right direction as far as quietly talked about test areas, I would be a happy camper.

Also thank you Joerg and others for this amazing platform, you gentleman are so dedicated. Cheers.

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: