Re: Las Vegas Locals

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Freema22 (Member since 02/12/2022) on April 04, 2022 at 10:14:47 PST:

This kind of ties in to the other thread about janitors and support staff.

Once upon a time, I was in product development for a packaging company, and I would spend a lot of time in the field with our sales force. Once, I had to visit a customer who practically shared a fence with Nellis at the departure end of one of the 021 runways. Jets were roaring over our head while we were doing what we needed to do outside and I made the comment about my interest in military aviation (no mention of Groom Lake). The one guy says, "Yeah, I used to work "over the hill" when I was at Nellis." I said, "Oh really? At Groom Lake?" He says, "Yeah, nothing exciting though. Just maintenance stuff. They told me when I had to go inside or not look out the window. I'm not an airplane guy so I wouldn't know what I was seeing even if I did see something."

The fact that he used the term "over the hill" led me to believe that some local people, probably more people that have past military or live in proximity to Nellis, have knowledge of the base than the general population of the area.

I have a close friend that is a "Las Vegas local". I asked her if someone mentioned Groom Lake or Area 51, would she or most of her friends know what they were talking about? She said, "Groom Lake, no, Area 51, yes, but mainly because of the different tourist activities that have adopted the name."

In Reply to: Re: Las Vegas Locals posted by Art Bell on April 04, 2022 at 9:58:46 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: