Don't break down in Lincoln County

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) (Member since 10/17/2000) on October 09, 2024 at 20:57:30 PST:

My girlfriend Linda aka "Dragon Rose" had the misfortune of breaking down a few miles south of Alamo. I was already in Rachel and drove all the way back. A tire was flat and I could not get the spare cranked down. What should have been an easy fix during daytime hours turned into a nightmare! I am sharing it here so you are better prepared.

I figured it was easy enough to remove the flat tire and have the tire guy in Ash Springs put on a new one on the rim, which was intact. Unfortunately the guy is not burdened with an abundance of intelligence. On the phone he could not even decide whether he was currently in his shop or not, let alone whether he had a matching tire.

Ok, no problem, there is a towing service in Alamo, connected to the grocery store. We drove there only to be told, rather rudely, that there was in fact a tow truck but no one available to drive it. When I inquired how NHP would move vehicles after a wreck I was told that if, in fact, NHP requested a tow, a driver was available. Ok....?? Not sure in what universe that makes sense, but fine.

Off to the Alamo sheriffs/NHP station we went. It was only about 4pm and a sign on the front door pointed to a rather rickety side door. Which of course was locked! Ok, no problem, we just call them.

The phone numbers on the outside of the building were all disconnected!

We finally reached an emergency number. The dispatcher was clueless as to how to help us.

So, finally we left the car with a removed tire, sitting on rocks, by the side of the road in a very dangerous blind curve. Took the tire to Vegas where we got a new tire mounted thanks to a very competent and customer oriented service rep at Discount Tire. Took the tire all the way back up, got the wheel mounted and finally were on our way to Rachel.

As I said in the title, don't break down in Lincoln County. There is no tow service and zero help for those who are not part of a certain group. I will leave it at that!

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: