Re: New Trip Report: Cancelled Test at Groom after base's UH-60 spots me on Tikaboo!

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by NotTelling (Member since 07/02/2023) on December 01, 2023 at 9:33:28 PST:

Fact. My experience is at other USAF test ranges where I've worked in the past but they all follow the same funding and reimbursement policy.

Cost of a cancelled mission varies based the complexity. For example if a tanker is scheduled and is already airborne, then that airplane has to either fly for hours to burn off the gas (to get to landing weight) or has to dump it. Either way, 100,000 lbs of JP-8 is not cheap. Also depends on the range resources. A night EW mission (for example) with multiple systems requires many operators to switch to a night shift which means the day prior and the day after that night mission are off the table for those systems.

I've seen mission cancellations cost up to 3/4 of a million dollars. Never below $100K.

In Reply to: Re: New Trip Report: Cancelled Test at Groom after base's UH-60 spots me on Tikaboo! posted by n01_b4_flash on December 01, 2023 at 2:32:32 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: