Re: 7th generation fighter?

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Vahe Demirjian (Member since 04/28/2022) on May 12, 2024 at 13:27:08 PST:

In a paper published in 1990, historian Richard P. Hallion proposed a classification of jet fighters into six generations, defining those generations of jet fighters as subsonic, transonic, supersonic, Mach 2, multi-mission, and high-maneuverability. At the time this classification scheme for jet fighter generations was published, the YF-22 and YF-23 had not yet flown, the Dassault Rafale was still undergoing flight tests, and the Eurofighter Typhoon had not yet been built. Using Hallion's scheme, the F-22, F-35, Su-57, J-20, and J-31 would constitute seventh-generation jet fighters if a multi-mission role is thought of as a defining characteristic of fifth-generation fighters (in which case the F-15, F-16, and Viggen constitute fifth-generation jet fighters and the F-22, F-35, Su-57, Rafale, Su-35, and Typhoon are sixth-generation jet fighters if Hallion's jet fighter classification scheme is followed).

Emma Taylor's article merely reflects the author's own opinion, and although the delta-wing Lippisch P.13a project (of which an unpowered technology demonstrator was built) was conceived at the same time as the unflown Messerschmitt P.1101 and unbuilt Focke-Wulf Ta 183 and Junkers EF 128 projects, its supersonic speed would have made i third-generation under the jet fighter generation classification scheme devised in 1990 by Hallion. Although the MiG-9 and Yak-15 were flown a year before the MiG-15 and came of age five years after the Me 262, their high subsonic speed made them first-generation jet fighters like the Me 262 and Meteor.

Attached link: Richard Hallion's 1990 classification scheme for jet fighter generations

In Reply to: 7th generation fighter? posted by Mark on May 11, 2024 at 19:46:17 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: