Re: travel safety

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by n01_b4_flash (Member since 01/29/2012) on February 17, 2024 at 1:26:42 PST:

2 spares would be enough, IMO. The road leading to Tikaboo is in rough condition however in the first part of the last year(2023) the road was renovated and is much more affordable than it was, for example, in October 2022(my first visit to the area).

On my first visit I needed to abort on the first attempt to get there as I rented typical *modern* SUV that due to low profile wheels and low ceilling could get worst after passing through the sharp dumps that were affecting the road from the half of its way. The dumps on the road have sharp edges of stones so they can act as a scissors to your wheels and to avoid getting a puncture you need to slow down and just pass gently through the holes and said dumps. But as I mentioned, the road now should be in much batter condition than two years ago.

The best road condition I had a privilage to experience was last May(2023), the road was smooth just about everywhere, besides sections that are getting closer to the Peak, and in vicinty of nearest Badger Mountain(hence that road is actually called 'Badger Valley Road').

However, the road condition suffered de-progress I noticed on my last visit in October(2023). The road although still affordable was somewhat more demanding for a car than in aforementioned May of the same year. Last time I also took my way through the "shortcut" and instead of taking straight way on the first intersection, I turned right... well, that alone was an interesting experience but I would say to avoid that option for anyone trying to get his car to the Peak in one piece :) I didn't crash but the chances of getting a flat tire doubles in size that's why that "shortcut" is not mentioned anywhere as the worth one to take.

The worst spot on the road that is a real wild one is now, the famous "washout", really close to the Peak. You can park your car next to it and continue on foot. From that spot to the top of the Peak you are to take approximately 3,5 mile(~6km) walk. Don't start your trail after 3PM as you would have to take the sharpest sections of an ascent in the dark what isn't the best idea(I can tell from autopsy). Loose stones in the dark are even worst! :)
BUT... you can drive through that washout if you have a small SUV and not a long one. Last time, a guys I climbed with and me, passed through it without any problems and if you would be able to take it same way you can literally get to the foot of the Peak, where the trail(road) ends.

If you are planning a visit there, I can assure you, it's definitely worth in it's extent. Besides seeing Groom Lake itself you get a breathtaking views, especially when the sun is rising and falling down. I'm trying my best to travel regularly to different parts of World but Nevada has a special place in my hearth.

In Reply to: travel safety posted by Greg Gummere on February 16, 2024 at 10:21:34 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: