B-21 personal musings

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by RcTeller (Member since 12/02/2022) on December 02, 2022 at 10:31:48 PST:

I’ve meant to post these thoughts for a while, so it seems kinda weak to post them only SIX hours before the rollout.

Here are a few thoughts based on only guesses and the few images publicly released so far.

Two engines have been generally assumed for the platform. If this is the case, I expect essentially the engines to be mounted side by side for centerline thrust. This would cover any significant yaw in the event of loss of power. It was also allow exhaust cooling (either internally or externally) over the greater length of the center section. It would also imply slightly outboard weapons bays.

I suspect front of the plane is not going to have the aesthetics of the B-2, but eventually we will come to appreciate form follows function. I’m expecting the nose and canopy to be more akin to the Tacit Blue platypus nose (but more streamlined). The artwork shadows released also hints the nose may be somewhat rounded instead of pointed when looking at the planform perspective. The odd windscreen also seems unprecedented.

I’m also expecting relatively flush top inlets akin to Tacit Blue, optimized for cruise, with auxiliary inlets for takeoff and landing when higher AOAs might induce flow separation into top inlets. I can imagine the inlets being covered during the rollout, NG is not going to have another Mike Dornheim moment like 1988.

Perhaps the greatest item that “could” happen is the absence of control surfaces on the bottom of the aircraft. An aircraft with an unbroken bottom surface (except for gear/bays) would offer a lower RCS. Replacement of traditional control surfaces with only top spoilers for roll and pitch combined with internal CG shifting might eliminate the need for drag rudders.

I guess we will see in a few hours !

RcTeller

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL: