Re: Red Flag MiGs at Area 51

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by casper_n (Member since 01/24/2011) on July 13, 2022 at 11:46:36 PST:

Already fellow nerds, correct me if I'm wrong here. From what I understand, the FME that happened at Groom was different than the FME that happened at TTR -- even when the same airframes were involved.

Wasn't the Red Hats mission out of Groom more focused on testing the assets to see what they were capable of, and then the Red Eagles out of Tonopah would use them for DACT and exposure sorties to help calm "Mig Fever" freak outs from our pilots the first time they saw a Russian jet in the wild?

Obviously, I have zero clue if this is still the case, but since we're spitballing... it could be that these assets are flying more in data gathering role. How do their radars respond to US large force? When/How do they spot 5th gen aircraft? Could Maverick really take one down in a mothballed F-14? You know... the really important questions.

Also, another thought I just had -- I haven't seen any foreign players on the list for this Red Flag. So, it could be that whatever they are flying is sensitive enough that even our allies can't play with it yet. In which case, who knows if it's MIGs at all, or if the callsign is just fun disinformation so they don't call it "NGAD Swarm?"

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag MiGs at Area 51 posted by Ty on July 13, 2022 at 11:27:56 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: