Re: Staying at the Dreamland Resort

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) (Member since 10/17/2000) on March 21, 2022 at 14:33:23 PST:

Yes, most buildings at the base certainly have running water. :-)

There is a water tower that serves the northern part of the base and water tanks on the east slope of Papoose Mountain that seem to serve the southern part. Both are connected by an underground pipeline. Evidence of trenching is visible in GE satellite images. I am sure there are several wells feeding the holding tanks. Following covered trenching in the satellite images (look at historic imagery) you can probably find the well buildings relatively easily.

From experience in Rachel I can say that all water lines must be buried at least 2ft. deep to prevent them from freezing in the winter (I have seen -18F in Rachel).

And there is a wastewater processing plant at the north end of the base. Again, with underground plumbing.

Speaking of the mundane: This page on the Roadrunners web site (attached link) has some shots of the Area 51 living quarters in the 1960's. Accommodations at the only motel in Rachel still look like that (on a good day) but I am sure the living quarters at the base have been upgraded quite a bit.

A few years ago, when construction was done at the south ramp, you could clearly see newly covered trenches, likely for water or heating lines, in the GE historical images.

Attached link: Newly found photos of the Groom Lake Facility in the 1960s

In Reply to: Staying at the Dreamland Resort posted by Art Bell on March 21, 2022 at 13:44:09 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: