Re: Portable scanner for Area 51

Message posted by Roger M. on September 16, 2019 at 18:14:42 PST:

What I use around the ranges is the Uniden BC125AT paired with the Diamond RH77 antenna (the Diamond is 3 or 4 times better than the stock antenna).

The Uniden BC125AT has a feature called "Close Call" which essentially cuts into whatever bank of frequencies you got programmed to scan with ANY radio signal (that your scanner is capable of receiving) considered "close by" to where you are ("close by" being from right beside you up to 10 or 15 miles). This is an unbelievably good feature to have as it will quite easily pick up and give you calls on frequencies your scanner may be able to receive, but that you have no reason to program into your scanner. I can't count how many times the Close Call feature has kicked in with interesting calls when I've been scanning around the ranges.

The BC125AT is super simple to program if you have a PC (i use a Microsoft Surface) with the free factory programming software.
There is also a shareware program available for the BC125AT that basically puts the radio and all its features up on an easy to monitor, and easy to program screen. You use this software as you're actually scanning.
I wouldn't use my Uniden with out it. It's called Scan 125 and it's at https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/

There is also an additional piece of purchased software that some folks swear by for programming the scanner, however I find the free factory software works just fine.

Because I use mine in conjunction with the Microsoft Surface, the entire rig is super compact, and the tablet and the scanner have relatively long lasting batteries.

I did a ton of research before putting this together, and in that process I quickly discovered that this rig is roundly considered one of, if not the best in portable, inexpensive, military and civilian aircraft monitoring.
(the aftermarket Diamond antenna is an ABSOLUTE MUST though, it turns an already excellent scanner in into a complete monster of a scanner).

In Reply to: Portable scanner for Area 51 posted by necondaa on September 16, 2019 at 11:20:47 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]