Re: OT--EG&G Patch for "Classified UFO Retrieval Program

Help keep this
web site online

[ Post a Reply ] [ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]

Message posted by The Doctor (Member since 10/20/2022) on August 15, 2023 at 10:25:07 PST:

There are only two aspects of the patch that I think I can speak to. The repeated binary in the background (11001001) corresponds to the decimal value 201. While the value does correspond to the high ASCII character É (capital e with an accent) I don't think that means anything. If it was a military patch it might reflect a unit number (Unit 201) or something. I'll leave folks more knowledgeable in such things to that.

The legend at the bottom ("MEASURE ANALYZE PROTECT") reminds me of something that managerial types in the security community often say: "If you can't measure it, you can't improve it. If you can't improve it, you can't protect it."

Measure - Instrument systems and networks, collect metrics, watch activity.

Analyze - What does all that stuff mean in context? Is this legit traffic? Is something malfunctioning? Is somebody rattling doorknobs? Did something get loose inside?

Protect - Ultimately what information security tries to do: Protect assets (ref CIA triad - confidentiality, integrity, availability)

My guess here is that, in conjunction with the binary it's a patch for an infosec team or project. However (waving big flag), that's just a contextual guess and I haven't looked at any of the other replies. I'm probably wrong.

In Reply to: OT--EG&G Patch for "Classified UFO Retrieval Program posted by Duke on August 14, 2023 at 20:09:40 PST:

Replies:

Post a Reply

(*) are required fields
Name (*):
E-Mail:
Password (*):
Subject (*):
Message (*):

Optional information:
Link URL:
Link Title:
Image URL: