Re: We are going to visit Groom Lake next year - questions

Message posted by Gregos on June 25, 2019 at 15:41:24 PST:

1) Not any of those cars. Think 4WD like a JEEP -That will be easy to find one. Don’t tell them your going off road.

2) I’d forget soda, as much water as you can carry. Take extra and leave on the trial for the trip down. You may be out after the trip up and over night camp. An MRE would be good.

3) Depends on what time of year. I have (or had?) a 2 person tent stashed in my cache up there. It was August so no sleeping bag needed. I didn’t even set the tent up, I just got in it like a sleeping bag to keep the morning dank off me.

4) Water, Water NOWHERE, Not a drop to drink. TOILET PAPER & matches if you want a night fire. I’d camp just below the peak and wake up early and climb the last leg just before first light with a headlamp. It will be light when you hit the top. You can still see the base from the camp…

Extra Tid Bit: I’m planning to do the hike for my 50th B-Day. I’m not a spring chicken, the last time I went up I carried a 60lb / 27 kilo US rucksack. It’s a 45º angle+ on loose shale -do the math. I’m planning to take (3) 100’ ropes from Home Cheapo. Climb up the first leg the day before and hopefully string them back down from the few trees. Use them as a crutch for the actual climb with all the kit. Maybe take a D Ring for the pack and slide the ruck along the ropes. Won’t work though, if you slip the pack is going down FAST to the next tree!!! I believe there is something call a wall hauler for climb up rock faces?

In Reply to: We are going to visit Groom Lake next year - questions posted by Speedy on June 25, 2019 at 14:34:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]