Re: OT: things to do near Vegas

Message posted by Gregos on May 22, 2019 at 14:26:23 PST:

Definitely the Valley of Fire. You can spend all day there and not see it all. Take lots of water! Lots!!! I took my in laws out there in the summer. They laughed as I packed 6 or 8 gallons. a shovel, etc. I'm like you have no idea, think Mars! One gallon was frozen to drink, I could have sold my father in law that gallon for $500 bucks! The rest was for the HUMMER if it over heated. Good roads so you don't need 4WD.

I was on a long flight home one, sitting next to an elderly Aussie couple going out to get married. We chatted a lot and they asked the same question. I said Valley of Fire for sure. They hemmed and hawed and finally, I said, you know what, I'm taking you out -end of discussion! So me my wife and the two ventured out and had a blast. We attended their wedding at the Little Wedding Chapel.

Mt. Charleston, is cool. There is a vista point where you can see the former Nevada Test Site (now the Nevada National Security Site). You may still be able to get the tour depending on your timeline. You have to apply and pass a background check. Great hikes there too. Have a drink at the Lodge.

Tikaboo is awesome. Once again take tons of water. I place a few liters along the trail for the trek back. Then you don't have to hump it all up. The climb to the false summit is hard (sucks)! The rest is easy peasy, infact fun.

There are tons of interesting places out in the desert to explore. Unfortunately most require a 4X4 or you'll be calling for help. Watch Joerg's Drone videos on YouTube for ideas and rent a 4WD. In Las Vegas you can rent anything for a price. You'll need one for Tikaboo anyway...

Cheers!

Attached link: YouTube / Rachel, Nevada

In Reply to: Re: OT: things to do near Vegas posted by Griffon_314 on May 22, 2019 at 13:06:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]